Mather LifeWays is a unique organization
with staying power. Why?
Because we offer three areas of service—award-winning senior living residences; neighborhood programs; and esteemed research and education resources through our Institute on Aging—all dedicated to one mission: enhancing the lives of older adults by creating Ways to Age WellSM.
And it’s the sum of our parts—our three areas of service—that showcase the depth and strength of our organization.
We seek to enhance our impact on older adults’ lives and those who serve them; elevate our significance by expanding our reach and building recognition throughout Chicago and beyond as an industry leader; and achieve sustainability by implementing mission-driven activities, while maintaining a sound fiscal foundation, so future generations of older adults will be served.
Simply, our unwavering commitment to serving older adults is made possible by our sound financial position. Our investments and strong endowment exemplify our stable financial footing as we move confidently into the future.
By the numbers in 2012
In the years between the opening of the original Mather Home in 1952 and 2013, Mather LifeWays has spent $265 million to enhance the lives of older adults (that’s more than $500 million in today’s dollars); all the while, we’ve maintained strong financial footing. Consider, in 2012:
- In 2012 alone, we served the most older adults in our history—34,603!
- Mather LifeWays endowment and trusts funded $15.6 million in mission spending to enhance the lives of older adults.
- Our endowment and trusts held nearly $385 million in investments/financial assets (at December 31, 2012).
- Additionally, we owned or managed nearly $300 million in property/equipment.
- Our total assets were $574 million, with net assets of nearly $364 million.
- We provided $4.5 million in financial assistance to residents.
- Mather Possibilities accumulated $625,000 in assets from generous contributions from residents, customers, and business partners, including Power Construction Company, which will enable us to pursue innovative ways to serve an increased number of older adults.
Contact us at (847) 492.7500 or click here to
get more information about Mather LifeWays.